Ferizaj is a new city, but its surroundings have been inhabited since the 6th millennium BC. From the archaeological findings in the village of Varosh, 3 km in south of Ferizaj, it is proved that there was a civilization in these parts since the time of the early Neolithic. Thus, from the 8th century BC until the Roman Conquest, Ferizaj and its surroundings were inhabited by the Dardanian population. The Dardanian burial mounds were found in the region of Ferizaj, in Gërlica (Gurëz) in total of 18 cemeteries that belong to the VIII-VII centuries, and then then the tumular necropolis in Zaskok.
Ferizaj was founded in 1873 with the construction of the Mitrovica – Skopje railway. In the second half of the 19th century, travellers talked about the inn of Feriz Bey Shasivari, after whom this settlement was named, and within a few decades it became a city, populated mainly by merchants and craftsmen. As the first name of the new settlement, it was named in the records of the time as Ferizovic. Since 1874, in addition to this name which was established by the authorities of the time, the name Tasjan was also in use, which derived from the French word station.