Compared to other cities, Ferizaj is one of the newest urban centers of Kosovo. As a settlement, it was formed during the Ottoman period. After 1873, it was developed into a town along the Mitrovica – Skopje railway line. This railway line was very important for the transportation of passengers and goods.
The development of the city took off after 1900. In this period, some activities, such as crafts and trade, began to develop. The dominant activity in the city was trade. In 1900, out of 400 houses in Ferizaj, 200 were commercial and handicraft shops.
The city of Ferizaj began to develop during the period between the two world wars. From that time, there are still some remaining objects, such as the Culture House “Hivzi Sylejmani” (now the Theater “Adriana”), built in 1924 and the Library (now the Historical Archive) built in 1928. However, the economic development was not at the right level, this meant that the only enterprise in Ferizaj during this period of time was the Tile Factory. Whereas other enterprises and factories were developed after the Second World War, where it is worth mentioning the Pipe Factory, the Tool Factory, the Wood Factory, the Water Factory, the Oil Factory, the Bread Factory, the “Minex” Food Products Factory, etc. Given the favourable geographical position of Ferizaj located between the two capitals, Pristina and Skopje has made Ferizaj becoming one of the largest industrial and commercial centers of Kosovo, as well as the construction of the railway line. Therefore, this has led to the fact that nowadays Ferizaj is a city with a large number of businesses that have influenced in the increase of the well-being and created more incomes for residents of Ferizaj.