The Great Mosque and the Orthodox Church
While exploring the city center of Ferizaj, one can easily see a rare attraction, such as the Great Mosque and the Church of Saint Uroshi. These two buildings share the same yard.
The Great Mosque, also known as the Mulla Veseli mosque, was built in 1891 and was restored between 1942-43, whereas the minaret was built in 1957. In 2003, the space around the mosque was extended, and the fountain was built. In 2006, the second minaret was built.
The Church of Saint Uroshi was designed by the architect Josif Mihajllovic Jurukovski and was built during the years 1929-1933. Inside, there are murals painted in 1930, as well as paintings of medieval Serbian icons.
Catholic Church in Ferizaj
The “Guardian Angel” Catholic Church was built in 1926 with the self-contribution of Catholic Albanian families. This church had served as an object for the performance of religious services for the believers of the Catholic religion in the territory of Ferizaj. Also, as a center of cultural, youth, and humanitarian activities during the years of the Serbian occupation in Kosovo.
During its history of over 100 years, the parish also served as a place where the national issue was defended. The Church’s contribution was multidimensional, in favor of humanity and charity, coming to the aid of the Albanian people in 1990, where hundreds of students poisoned by the Serbian regime took refuge in this church to receive the necessary medical help. Therefore, this building has multiple values and, at the same time, is part of the MCYS cultural heritage list for temporary protection.
Mosque of Berisha
The Mosque of Berisha belongs to the 17th century and is located in the Berisha neighbourhood of Greme village. Besides, there have been other findings in the field of archaeology. The mosque has never had a minaret and it has been restored several times.
According to some imams who have also taken care of its maintenance, this mosque is over three centuries old and, as such, has withstood time thanks to the care of the believers who attended religious services. This mosque has also served as a shelter, especially in the last 1998-99 war by being in the service of KLA.
The Mosque in Talinoc of Muhaxhir
It belongs to the 20th century, namely 1908. It was built by the Muslim people of the village, who had populated this settlement after the migration of Albanians from Sanxhak of Nis. It is in a fairly good condition now, but it is not used to perform religious rites for Islamic people. This mosque has many religious, cultural and architectural values.
Catholic Parish in Ferizaj
It was built in 1903 and it served for religious rites, being the first temple in the city of Ferizaj, namely after 30 years of the city’s foundation. During its history of over 100 years, this parish also served as a place where the national issue was defended. A specific case was in 1990 when hundreds of Kosovar students were poisoned by the Serbian state apparatus, and there they found shelter and were offered medical help. Therefore, this building has a multiple value and, at the same time, it is part of the MCYS cultural heritage list for temporary protection. This is a very precious site and it is an investment for a better future and for the cultivation of the pleasant feeling that comes from ethnic, religious and cultural diversity. This building has been restored by UNDP, turning it into a church museum that represents the cultural and religious heritage of Ferizaj.